Wednesday, September 28, 2005

An all new "Caroline in the City"

While waiting to find friends, stuff to do and in an attempt to keep myself busy I have several hobbies here in Delhi. With the advent of Internet in my apartment, the new number one spot has been taken away from knitting. Yup, mum, I am knitting up a monsoon storm here in Delhi. (Beware knitting joke ahead...) Of course if I were really knitting during a monsoon I'd have a really cool felted creation to take home! (Ok lame knitting joke.)

But on to my number three love: TV. For those of you who are in or have ever been in Delhi you understand why this is a really, really lame thing to love. There are only about 7 or 8 English language stations that aren't sports on our cable. Since watching cricket and football (that's soccer to you Yanks; all of whom i miss terribly!) aren't up my alley it means that i have 7 or 8 channels of TV period.

Allow me to break down Delhi TV for you. We have HBO, which edits movies for content and has commercials during the movie, which in my opinion, defeats the purpose of HBO entirely. Then we have Hallmark channel and the History channel. Thanks to the latter I can now tell you the history of Star Wars, the piece of paper on which was written the original Gettysburg address and Wonder Woman among other weird things you never wanted to know.

In terms of real watchable TV we have AXN, ZTV and Star World. AXN is cool because it shows all the CSIs (which prior to living here i never, ever watched since i am a Law and Order devotee) and Amazing Race. The latter of course makes up for all the other crap since we actually get this season's AR if a week or so late. YAY!

Which brings us to the real problem with TV here in general: it’s all repeats all the time. Don't get me wrong, if I had been a hermit who had never watched TV for the last 6 or 7 years it would be great. Since i am not a hermit and count the person who invented TV as one of my favourite people ever born, TV here pretty much sucks. Tonight i can watch an all-new "8 Simple Rules" followed by an all-new "Caroline in the City" and ending with the latest episode of "Wonderfalls." In case you don't watch TV (you freak!) allow me to explain how cancelled and no longer on TV all of these shows are in real world.

It could be worse though, my friends, it could be Tuesday and I could be stuck watching an all-new "Becker." 'Nuff said.

No comments: