Saturday, February 03, 2007

A Super Bowl of Chips

The hype leading up to Superbowl XLI has reached such a fever pitch that even innocent civilians who know that football is really soccer have been sucked into the abyss. Everywhere you turn, be it sports radio, television, or even the Internet, you are inundated with news about this American sporting event. Two giants of the game, the Chicago Bears and the Indianapolis Colts, will face each other on the gridiron in Miami, Florida. But who has it in them to take home that famous trophy? Which team deserves to wear the ring proclaiming themselves Superbowl champions?

Who cares?!

Yes, I know that if we were in the States right now, I’d be psyched about attending a Superbowl party at somebody’s house. I’d be looking forward to party night staples of yummy Superbowl munchies, many uncounted drinks, and bets that didn’t include complicated math or point spreads. Chances are that I would even know who was performing in the halftime show. (Who is it anyways?) Most of all, I’d be looking forward to the drama that would mark the night forever in my memory: the commercials!

Without the multimillion-dollar ads (which don’t air outside the US on game night), the party, or the snackage to look forward to, I’m not sure whether I can gather enough energy to cheer for the game this year. Add to that the fact that in order to watch the game, we’ll need to be awake at 2:00 a.m. Monday morning. (The pre-game nonsense, for those lucky Nairobi-based fans, will start at 9:00 p.m., Sunday night.)

Needless to say, I intend to wake up at a humane hour on Monday (around 9ish, thank you) and look-up the highlights, lowlights, and Monday morning quarterbacking on the Internet. You know, like a sane person!

Of course, if anyone were to force me to cheer for a team… I mean, if a certain Hubby wanted to bet a romantic night at Tamarind versus a freshly baked carrot cake… If I absolutely had to pick a team to win outright…

‘Da Bears!!!


No comments: