Monday, March 05, 2007

To Geek or Not to Geek

It has recently come to my attention that I may be a wee bit geeky. I know you’re all shocked to hear this since I make such a point to display to the world a face that eschews such nerdliness. I don’t brag about my ability to tell you the plot of a TNG (Star Trek: The Next Generation, thank you) episode after watching two minutes or less. I’m pretty sure that nobody knows about my slight liking for Xena (and her more impressive friend: the Battling Bard of Potedia). All these things are secrets because I am not a nerd or a geek.

Or so I thought.

The other day I was online with some friends discussing things when each of us lost our Internet Chat Cherry. ‘Ren had been online for a few years and Storm beat her estimate by saying that she had been online since 2000. All I could think as they confessed to their Big Days was, “Oh.” Not a happy “Oh” but rather a resigned and self-effacing “Oh.”

Most of you know how I met Hubby, ‘lo those many years ago. (And for those of you who don’t: all you need to know is that we met through mutual friends. They were people that we both counted as friends: ergo they were mutual. It is a very technical truth that I am willing to stick to, please and thank you.) What some of you may not have realized, or, like me, may have pushed to the denial part of your brains was that Hubby and I met over twelve years ago.

I count my official online chat timeline as being around the time when Hubby and I first met (however that may be) in 1995. In truth, I had been on IRC slightly before that in October and November of 1994. Thus, the sad truth, for those us who suck at math, is that I have been online for almost 13 years. That means that I may be the tiniest, slightest bit of a geek.

So if you’ll excuse me, I have to go and polish my pocket protector, shine my coke-bottle glasses, and pop in my Star Wars DVD while watching for all the moments that Lucas changed in the 2004 release. *sniff* I’m not really a geek am I?

PS Hubby just pointed out that while has been chatting online only slightly longer than I have. That said, he has been online emailing and whatnot since 1990. That, I believe, makes him the biggest (and cutest) geek in the room.

No comments: