Sunday, December 18, 2005

Almost like Christmas

I can say with little doubt that everybody who knows me in the real world knows that adore Christmas, Christmas time and basically anything involving this time of year. I’m normally the one singing carols as I wander not only around the office but even down the street. Shopping for friends and family becomes my favorite sport for most of the month of December. Best of all is the food this time of year: it’s always yummy and there’s always lots of it! Christmas rocks.

Unfortunately it doesn’t really feel all that much like Christmas around here. Delhi, although chilly, isn’t snowy. The stores and homes aren't bedecked with Christmas lights and Santas on the lawn. There are no Santas in the malls (what with the complete lack of malls except in Gurgaon) and no general feelings of hustle and bustle that one associate’s with December.

Before you all yell at me I realize that Christianity is not the religion of choice here. So I’m totally in the minority celebrating that holiday. As a result I’m not really feeling Christmas-y. *sigh*

I’ve been to holiday themed parties... in fact I co-hosted one last Saturday that was trés, trés fun! (Note to my fellow host: DC you rock! She did literally everything to prep this party and deserves all the credit for how well it turned out.) We saw some great friends, nibbled on yummy food and sipped on everything from buzzed up hot chocolate to Champagne cocktails. Best of all though was just getting all of our new friends together for the occasion.

But a few hours Christmas just isn’t the same as the inundation we get back in the Real World. When friends become family and the warmth of the season isn’t about central heating (although it helps!).

Enough of being maudlin… Who’s up for some Christmas carols?!

Deck the Halls with boughs of Curry Leaves
Fa la la la la
La la la la!

‘Tis the season to eats lots of Jelabi
Fa la la la la
La la la la

Don we now our Salwar Kameez
Fa la la
La la la
La la la

Why am I the only one singing here?! Don’t make me sing the famous rap song by Stray Cowy Cow “Pop it like its Dilli Haat” or we may all live to regret it.

No comments: