Friday, February 15, 2008

Amani na Uhuru

I saw this billboard driving home from Junction the other day. This is the second “peace” billboard I’ve seen around town although I’m sure there are others. After seeing the sign I had to go home and find out what the image and words meant.

Here's what I found:

The dove is flying over the Maasai shield and fallen spears from the Kenyan flag. According to the (hopefully accurate) information I found online, the shield and crossed spears represent the defense of freedom.

The words on the right are lines from the Kenyan national anthem. I’ve broken down the translation (as I found it online) for you below.

Haki iwe ngao na mlinziJustice be our shield and defender
Natukae na uduguMay we dwell in unity
Amani na uhuruPeace and liberty
Natujenge taifa letu Let all with one accord
Ee, ndio wajibu wetuIn common bond united
Kenya istahili heshima Build this our nation together
Tuungane mikonoAnd the glory of Kenya

Peace for the glory of Kenya – now there’s a message I can get behind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an incredible message! On the bottom of the sign there seems to be a list of who sponsored this message. Any ideas who is supporting peace?
merthyrmum