Monday, September 08, 2008

A Day for Cherries

The workweek in Egypt is Sunday through Thursday, which means that yesterday was Hubby’s first official day of work. It was like watching my very own child go off to their first day of school. Only without the crying, whining that they didn’t want to go, and I didn’t have to make lunch the night before. So basically, it was nothing like a child’s first day of school except that it was his first day of work.

In an effort to move the story along, we’re all going to have to pretend that last paragraph never happened. Agreed? Excellent!

Just days after having our fabulous wireless Internet installed, it died on Saturday thanks to one of several power cuts we experienced over the weekend. The odd thing was that the router still worked with the RJ45 cord, but the magic that makes the wireless work died. It was like God thought I was too happy and wanted to drive me insane, just for fun.

So it was, that while Hubby had his first day of work, I had my first unaccompanied taxi ride in Cairo. Hubby wrote down the address, provided me with a map, and a list of Arabic words I would need to get where I was going. Despite this great planning on his part, the first taxi took my 13 pounds and left me in the middle of nowhere. After much hand waving and mangling of languages, a second taxi got me where I needed to go.

Explaining to a bunch of computer geeks that I’m not an idiot was far more complicated than arriving at their offices. After playing with the router for a few minutes, they looked at me and declared, “The router works.” While desperately trying to not roll my eyes or shout, I gently explained that the router worked very well with the cord but not as a provider of wireless. “Ohhhh!” The geeks then proceeded to troubleshoot and do exactly what Hubby had tried the night before only to discover (cue drum roll) that the router was broken.

Thankfully, geeks are the same the world over, and my slightly tight top meant that in addition to giving me a new router, they felt the need to program everything for me. I enjoy being a girl. Hubby may have braved an office that barely functions and trying out completely new skills, but I spoke Arabic, fixed the Internet, contemplated chores, and did it all while rocking a really cute new hairdo.

It’s time for me to find hobbies and get a job, huh?

4 comments:

Raúl said...

me gusta mucho tu blog lo visito todos los dias visita tu el mio y si t gusta deja un comentario y nos linkeamos los blogs

Anonymous said...

Well, how did hubby do at school yesterday? :)
Your solo excursion will now permit other such rides, I am sure, as you obviously also got home OK!
merthyrmum

Greetekees said...

Welcome to Cairo. Funny blog! It is all so recognizable, I moved to Cairo last year end of Nov.

For jobs you could look at www.ewaseet.com or at the bulletin board CSA (road 21, villa 4 Maadi) sometimes they have a few jobs.

Gr. Greetekees

http://far-so-far-away.blogspot.com/

Connie said...

Congrats on getting your internet back! We've been down a couple days, but it wasn't our stuff. DSL was broke.